Friday, January 1, 2010

Resolute and steadfast

For several years, Darien and I have exchanged resolutions -- she picks one for me, and I pick one for her. New Wine was my documentation of the 2009 resolution.

This year, the rest of the family wanted to participate. At our Christmas dinner (which others of you know as New Year's), we discussed which resolutions we wanted everyone to try and observe in 2010. At first we were going to consult each other without the person who had to observe the resolution being present, but then decided it would be better if we just did it all in one big group.

The rules are simple. The resolution has to be something that will actually help the person, and it had to be something that was doable under ordinary circumstances. Our purpose is to see results, not to torture. For these reasons, we didn't include such difficult to achieve things as stopping smoking or losing thirty pounds. We also tried to come up with things that can be measured.

We are going to use this blog to check in periodically and let the others know how we are doing. Good luck to us all!


John: to do more cooking by preparing at least one full meal every two weeks. (And Darien must do the dishes.)



Darien: to get to bed by 11 pm on four out of five weeknights, with lights out by 11:15. I get a gold star on nights that I get to bed by 10:45, or if I achieve the awesome task of getting to bed on time five nights in a row! The result we hope for is a kinder, more patient, and less irritable Berserker.





Antonia: This year, I am going to learn how to meditate -- breath centered meditation. This will help me with my singing, and will hopefully help me to chill the fuck out (thanks, Gabe!). My goal is either levitation, or an hour a week, whichever comes first.



Jonathan:  Every two weeks I resolve to learn a new skill/trick/fact necessary to becoming a person somewhat resembling a responsible Homeowner/Car Owner/ semi-adult-like person.

Peter:  I will read two chapters a week from a non-school book.

Gabriel: My resolution is to exercise twice a week for the first part of the year and beef up to three days a week by the second half of the year. Other goals include eating more regularly and preparing more food at home and keeping track of what I eat. We have success for the first week: took the dog biking on Tuesday, and Thursday we both sustained 30 minutes elevated heart. w00t.
Rachel: I will be taking on a new project each month to study a different aspect of cosmetology to better help me understand my profession. My goal is to better understand both the roots and breaking new styles of the business.

6 comments:

  1. Okay Dukes and FD Dukes and Vassar, Duke by marriage...I'll be enjoying another year of reading! Good Luck to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We look forward to your encouragement and comments, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    I'm hoping to benefit from your resolution by becoming a more stylish and trend-setting person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter have you been reading, if so which book? Don't Go Home with Just Any Chick?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it is December 31st, did anyone carry out their resolution?

    ReplyDelete