Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Beans: color me white

I wanted to make something with white beans. I found a winter vegetable soup that uses cannellini beans. I used to think beans were beans, especially if they are white. I know better now. Cannellini beans are longer and larger than the typical navy white bean -- and navy beans themselves have several varieties, the most well-known being the great northern. All of these beans are typically referred to as kidney beans.

After I understood what I was after with the cannellini beans, I turned my attention to the pancetta. Sometimes called Italian bacon, pancetta is closer to a fatty prosciutto than to bacon, which is smoked. The fattiness of pancetta make it a good saute choice for flavoring a soup, which is what my recipe called for. First, however, I had to find the pancetta. I called the meat departments of several markets and no one had any. I learned that one could substitute the fatty end of prosciutto, or blanch a bacon that is not too smoked in a pinch. I was disappointed, but was happy to discover that when I went to the market I should have been talking to the deli people and not the butchers.

After those little adventures, everything came together more or less. The best thing about this recipe was being able to put the onion and the garlic in the broth without having to peel them. After simmering for over an hour, they were both removed. The next best thing was the colors. The soup itself was pretty damn tasty, which is the third best thing. I've had it three days running now.


3 comments:

  1. Three days of soup! It is hard to make a little, I just freeze it! I am making a spicy black bean soup Friday, come on over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. joes market should have pancetta for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup was so good. I just finished mine up yesterday for lunch. This is the best New Year's resolution. Ever. Actually, it would have been better if you had to make a meal every week. Or every day. Personal chef!

    ReplyDelete